Cathy's Reviews > The Last Time I Saw You

The Last Time I Saw You by Elizabeth Berg

F 50x66
Mar 29, 2011

Read in March, 2011

I picked this book up because I really like Elizabeth Berg. Like all her novels, this is a character-driven story, and it takes place over a relatively small period of time, making it a very quick, easy read. The ensemble cast is a group of people my parents' age, and the plot is centered around their 40th high school reunion. You read about each of the main characters' expectations and hopes for the reunion, and you get to see whether or not they come to fruition.

Two things about this book amused me. First of all, having been to reunions, it's funny that despite the 25-year age gap between myself and the main characters, some of their behavior leading up to and at the reunion is identical to the behavior of people my own age who I know personally. The prospect that these kids I've known since I was a child might not change by the time we're in our late 50's is awesome and awful at the same time.

The other thing I found amusing was because of the proximity of their ages to my parents'. As I read, I found myself trying to view the events from the perspective of a peer, rather than a much-younger audience. I came to the realization that even though they're the right age, they are, to my relief, nothing like my parents. They are infinitely more shallow, more dysfunctional, and more morally ambiguous. That said, I also feel like I could have had a laugh with my parents after their reunion while they made fun of these same people and the way they behaved. Kudos, yet again, to Elizabeth Berg for being able to realistically convey people at all ends of the spectrum.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Time I Saw You.