Morgan F's Reviews > Arson

Arson by Estevan Vega

This book is a very atypical paranormal romance, although from the summary it seems stereotypical. Arson Gable is a loner who lives with his psychotic grandmother in a remote cabin in the woods. He has no friends, and his only interaction with other people is at his minimum-wage job at the local ice-cream shop. That's alright with Arson because he's a freak. Whenever he's angry, upset, or hurt, a fire starts in him, a fire that demands to be let out. Arson is used to being a loner, until a new family moves in nearby. Emery, the daughter of the new family, is a freak like him. She wears a mask due to cover up the scars from an accident in her childhood, and her parents, an alcoholic minister and a frustrated nurse, are always fighting and her family is falling apart. Slowly, Arson and Emery build a tumultuous friendship, as they can open up to each other in ways they haven't been able to to anyone else.

This book was unusual, and I didn't anticipate any of it. The POV, instead of focusing on one character, jumped from character to character. And it just didn't focus on Arson and Emery, but Arson's grandmother and Emery's parents had chapters dedicated to themselves too. It was interesting, as YA novels are usually superglued to the teenage perspective. The drama wasn't just based on teenage romance, but it included some heavier themes, such as aging, loss, failure, extramarital affairs, dissatisfaction, topics that were tackled from an adult perspective. I just wasn't expecting it in a YA novel, and if the writing was more cohesive, I would have really enjoyed it. But instead I felt the shifting perspectives were a tad disjointed and forced. I didn't know where the plot was going, and the characters were difficult to understand. I either disliked them, or had no positive feelings about them whatsoever.

I just didn't understand the purpose behind the novel. What was it trying to say, trying to do? Whatever it was, was odd and I didn't enjoy it. The novel didn't mesh with the last few page of the book, which was much more typical YA paranormal fare. Then the cliffhanger, what was that? I was just so confused. I have no idea where this series is going, and not in a good way.

In the end, the book was messy and I didn't enjoy it. I'm not sure if I'm reading the sequel.
12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Arson.

07/06/2011 page 161
07/10/2011 page 248
78.0% "I don't like it, but I'm gonna finish it."

message 1: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ Oo. I'm glad I didn't buy this then. Sorry you no likey:(