Cheryl Landmark's Reviews > Crow Lake

Crow Lake by Mary Lawson

Apr 16, 11

liked it

Actual rating: 3.5 stars

Crow Lake is a fictional town in Northern Ontario according to the author, but New Liskeard, which is also mentioned a few times in the book, isn't. It's an actual place and what's really cool is that I was born there! I don't remember much about it because we left when I was two years old and moved to Massey, Ontario, but I thought it was fantastic to read a book whose locale was set near my birthplace.

The story itself was fairly good, a story of the love and committment of a family struggling to survive after a tragic upheaval in their lives and told from the point of view of one of the children. Kate was very young when the tragedy happened and her childhood was not easy, but she managed to overcome a lot of the hardships and make something of herself. Her character was a little too cold and aloof and selfish for my taste, but I suppose she could be forgiven, considering the environment she grew up in.

I liked all of the characters in the book, but probably my favourite was Bo. She was just a baby for most of the story and her antics were hilarious at times.

If you're looking for a heart-warming story of love, sacrifice and family with a little bit of mystery thrown in, then I would recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crow Lake.