The UHQ Nasanta's Reviews > The Heiress

The Heiress by Lynsay Sands

Apr 10, 11

it was ok
bookshelves: genre-historical-romance, find-borrow-from-sisters, read-books-2011, own, reviewed
Read on April 10, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

In short, I found this book disappointing to the extent that I even contemplated giving it 1 star. I settled for 1.5.

I did not expect this book to be a rehash of The Countess. Once I realized this, I thought, "Why not?" I had enjoyed Julia Quinn's Mr. Cavendish, I Presume despite the poor and sometimes scathing reviews so I thought that The Heiress and I would get along fairly well. Imagine my disappointment, then, when it basically summarized or repeated The Countess for nearly 2/3 of the book. If done well, I might not have been as unhappy but the summaries of what had occurred in book one were as interesting as the fine print on a contract. I remember writing similar, uninteresting summaries for book reports back in elementary school. I was surprised that such writing managed to pass the editor's eye and get published. The writing seemed so lazy of the author.

The characters - I really liked them. I enjoyed The Countess and liked them there. I liked them in The Heiress. I liked Suzette and Daniel. Suzette is likely the most interesting character in this book. I enjoyed her straightforwardness, and her interactions with Daniel. I liked her sharp and sarcastic ways, even in the face of danger. I liked how the antagonist responded to Suzette's goads. But to see her so quickly run into danger, even if she did not realize it, made me rethink my admiration for her character because at that point, she seemed TSTL. Perhaps I'm being harsh but the author did not manage to convince me that Suzette had had a valid reason to do what she did before her flight to Gretna Green. Daniel was sweet. I liked him better in The Heiress than in The Countess. And his mother became my new favorite character. The scene that so impressed the Madison Sisters impressed me too. It is probably my favorite scene in the book.

In short, what I liked about this book: most of Suzette, Suzette & Daniel, Dowager Lady Woodrow, Lord Madison (especially the scene when he becomes the hero), and Robert Langley; the scene where Lady Woodrow manages the men. What I didn't like: plot and summaries of what happened in book one.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heiress.

04/10/2011 page 189
49.0% "Ever wondered what Suzette & Daniel were up to when they were alone in The Countess? This book has the answers. To be honest, this book is disappointing so far. It's Mr. Cavendish, I Presume by J. Quinn all over again - although I did like that one."
04/10/2011 page 247
64.0% "Y'know, I really saw that coming. Wish I didn't. Sometimes I don't mind predictable. Sometimes I do. Unfortunately, this time I do."