Kate Savage's Reviews > The Shadow of the Wind

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Jan 20, 12

bookshelves: spain, epic
Read in January, 2012

A young boy becomes obsessed with the life of a writer in this wondrous character rich narrative that borders on poetry.

Sometimes an epic is uncovered by others. Shadow of the Wind is about how Daniel, a teenager in unrequited love with a beguiling blind 20-something, digs deep into the life of an author whose novel he has been entrusted to keep alive forever. While uncovering the tragic secrets of the life of Julian Carax, Daniel experiences his own harsh experiences that come with living in post-Spanish civil war Barcelona.

This book is all about the characters. They live and bloom within writing that is poetry, disconcerting, and easy to become comfortable with. From Daniel's father to the local watch-repairman, to the illustrious Fermin Romero de Torres, every character has a full, fleshy description. Each secret uncovered is a shock and a sadness. And there are many, many secrets in this book.

I'm skirting around the main plot points because I don't want to spoil this book. I found it to be luscious to read, even it the moments that made me say "NO!" out loud. I almost wish this book was longer so that I could spend more time with the characters (especially the wry wisdom-exuding Fermin).

This book is great for people who enjoy deep characters and family secret sorts of stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow of the Wind.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Dave I might have to check this book out! The book description sounds quite intriguing.