Peggy's Reviews > The Victoria Vanishes: A Peculiar Crimes Unit Mystery

The Victoria Vanishes by Christopher Fowler

Aug 27, 11

bookshelves: fiction, mysteries

Leave it to me to start a series with #6! Each book can stand on its own though and I thoroughly enjoyed this romp through some of London's most famous pubs on the way to solving a very odd string of murders. The Peculiar Crimes Unit is full of 'peculiar' detectives.

I loved everyone of these quirky detectives - Bryant - getting old and forgetful, hopes he can remember the info he digs up until he can tell someone else in the dept. Mays - He just found out he has a tumor on the wall of his heart and needs surgery, his life is Bryant and the Crimes Unit and if its closing down then he doesn't really need to live. Janice Longbright - Just one of the guys in heels, her youth passed her by while she was busy catching criminals. She smokes like a chimney and still looks at the internet dating sites thinking someone out there has to enjoy catching crooks as much as her. Colin, whose dad was a crimes unit detective before him has inherited the same disorder his dad had, DSA, Diminished Spatial Awareness, so he falls off curbs, runs into light poles, misjudges doors. Makes everyone nervous when he's on a rooftop! Meers, the tough girl from the estates trying to make a difference. And last but not least Dan Banbury, the nerdy computer whiz. These guys and gals bumble through and somehow manage to solve the crimes no one else can.

Not only do we get a great mystery, great characters solving it, but we also get a history lesson on pubs in England's history

I give this one 5 of 5 stars. It had it all. I can't wait to read all of the books in the series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Victoria Vanishes.

Peggy Quirky characters and I so love quirky! Lots of interesting facts that go along with the object of the mystery and very unique types of murder. Will read all in the series!