Emily Kay's Reviews > Evolution: The Triumph of an Idea

Evolution by Carl Zimmer

F 50x66
May 31, 2007

Recommended for: non-scientists wishing to learn more about evolution
Read in May, 2007

In the winter of 2007 I led weekly one-hour discussions about evolution for an introductory biology class at the University of Chicago. When the course director handed me a free copy of Carl Zimmer’s book, Evolution: the Triumph of an Idea, my initial thought was “sweet! I can get paid to read about evolution.”

Although I was only asked to lead discussions on the first four chapters of Evolution, I couldn’t stop reading the remainder of the book. Zimmer’s book weaves together the major evolutionary theories about natural, sexual, & kin selection, adaptation, and coevolution with fun stories about evolution—from cannibalistic spiders to the evolution of HIV and human resistance to it. This book is so easy to read and surveys many evolutionary topics that it is well worth the 5-6 hours to read it. You’ll get a digestible introduction to evolutionary theory that both non-scientists and die-hard evolutionists can appreciate.

As a future evolutionary biologist I sometimes worry that my work on speciation may be too esoteric to be applied to the “real world.” Reading Evolution has proven to me that, on the contrary, evolution is fundamental to the way we understand our surrounding biodiversity, the human species, and our role in evolution today.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Evolution.