Eddie Watkins's Reviews > The Banquet Years: The Origins of the Avant-Garde in France, 1885 to World War I

The Banquet Years by Roger Shattuck

Apr 02, 11

An often overlooked fact: Henri Rousseau was a studly ladies' man.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Banquet Years.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike I've been meaning to read this for years, heard nothing but incredible things...

Eddie Watkins It's fantastic. I'm flirting with a reread at the moment. Wonderful and multifaceted evocation of an era with some light but intelligent critical writing mixed in. Maybe kind of romanticized but still great.

Jason The Jarry section is my favorite part!

Eddie Watkins I just reread that part. Shattuck's favorite novel of his was Days and Nights, which I've never read, and he played down Faustroll, which I just reread and still think is great.

message 5: by Kimley (new) - added it

Kimley An often overlooked fact: Henri Rousseau was a studly ladies' man.

I knew there was a sound reason why I like him so much.

Eddie Watkins Shattuck does emphasize his good looks and his omnivorous taste in women, and his love of wine and song.

As much as I've thought of Rousseau in my life, for some reason the fact that he was a party animal with a robust life beneath the sheets just does not stick in my consciousness; but it is a sound reason to like him even more.

message 7: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu Great book! The Satie info is golden. Hi, Eddie!

Eddie Watkins Matt! Yes, a great book, and though my particular copy might not hold up to multiple readings, the book in the abstract certainly does.