Chrissie's Reviews > Little Bee

Little Bee by Chris Cleave

May 11, 12

bookshelves: hf, great-britain, nigeria, audible, not-for-me

Is this the same book as "The Other Hand" by Chris Cleave? Maybe the book has different titles in different countries?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Bee.

09/22/2013 marked as: not-for-me
09/22/2013 marked as: not-for-me

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mikki Yes, Chrissie, it is Britain's title for Little Bee.

message 2: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Thanks, Mikki. It seems I can get the audio with that title. First I must read Incendiary, which I already have at home!

Mikki Let me know how you like that. It was his debut, right?

message 4: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie I think so. I bought it ages ago, and thought I would start with that. I almost picked it up just now, but then when I was browsing my wooden shelves I felt for The Last Light Breaking: Living Among Alaska's Inupiat which sat right next to it. I even sort my unread paper books by continents.

Mikki Chrissie wrote: "I even sort my unread paper books by continents. ..."

Since we've started reading for 52, I've acquired so many authors of different countries that I'm going to need a new filing system. By continent could work well.

message 6: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie On GR I have always filed books on a shelf where the book takes place, but at home I store the unread books by continent because I usually can find them that way and I usually know whether I feel like reading a book about Asia or Europe for example. How people file books is pretty funny.

message 7: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Thanks for warning me. I already have the paperback of Incendiary, so I will give that one a try.

message 8: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie I have read 62 pages. That is exactly what I was thinking. Her relationship with Jasper Black is not credible. Neither that the kid slept peacefully through the racket they made to get back at the partying neighbor. I am getting a little weary of the long letter format, too. It keeps going without a pause to catch your breath.

Mikki Sounds disappointing, but after my experience with Little Bee I wasn't expecting much. Are the characters somewhat developed at least?

message 10: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Mikki, let me put it this way. The main character does things that seem incredible, even for a flaky person.

Mikki Yeah, then I might suggest you take a pass on Little Bee.

message 12: by Chrissie (last edited May 11, 2012 11:35AM) (new) - added it

Chrissie I just opened it and read a few more pages, and what happens next is just unbelievably bad. It is so fake and the dialog incredibly TERRIBLE! Kirkus said it was good! They have really gone down the drain. Thank God i don't read their opinions any more. I will put Little Bee on my NOT to read shelf. At this point I think Incendiary went from bad to HORRIBLE. How can anyone possibly think this is good writing,?!

message 13: by Mikki (last edited May 11, 2012 11:42AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mikki Well, with Little Bee the situation is a bit different -- the writing starts out incredibly good and then takes a nosedive in the middle. It had all the potential of being an amazing book.

message 14: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie I came here to write to you because I am so shocked. What is happening is disgusting and the point is to make us the readers horrified. The thing is this wouldn't happen the way it is described. So it is fake and terrible only to upset the reader. Usch, what am I reading his for?

So there is some good writing in Little Bee?

I do not know if I am going to continue with Incendiary to the end. FAKE FAKE FAKE. Maybe if i calm down I can open it again.

It is distracting me at least......

Mikki I've warned her too and that will the last of Chris Cleave for me.

message 16: by Chrissie (last edited May 11, 2012 07:32PM) (new) - added it

Chrissie Mikki and Gaeta, "Little Bee" or "The Other Hand", I will not open. I will not buy it or go near it. I will not read it or listen to it. Incendiary was enough of a bad experience for me. TERRIBLE! Insultingly bad. I will never go near Chris Cleave again.