Shelly's Reviews > Secrets of a Summer Night

Sep 07, 14

bookshelves: favorites, audiobook-version, romance-historical
Recommended for: several
Read in March, 2011

Holy crap I am in love! This is my first book by this author, but will not be my last! I've heard tons of good things about her, and this series especially, and now I am wondering what took me so long to read it!
I love strong characters, and both the hero/heroine are very strong and true to themselves. There is great sexual tension between them and their chemistry is like a powder keg.
I usually prefer some sort of adventure or something to help propel the story along, rather than the standard miscommunication most historicals seem to rely on, but this is so well written that I found I was too excited to read about the characters and it kept my interest all throughout.
Oh, and Simon is divine! My new fave hero! Can't wait to read the next!

Edit: 8/30/11 - I love this book so much, I decided to add a bit to my original review!

Things I loved:

* The friendship between the wallflowers - It's obvious this series is based on the friendship of these four women, but it is a wonderful friendship nonetheless. They don't judge each other (not too harshly anyway) and genuinely care for one another. It's not about what they can get from each other as most friendships of this era seem to be based on, but it's what they can give to their friends to help them succeed and be happy. True friendship like this is rare, no matter the time or place, and it's a treasure to read.

* The chess game!!! Oh, the chess game was so great. This is my 3rd or 4th time reading/listening to this book, and each time the chess game has more meaning within the story, and I just love that! I love it when I read a book I already love and get more from it each time! LK never gets old, I think I could live on her stories alone, if she only cranked them out faster!

* Annabelle - I know she's received a lot of criticism from other reviewers, and even from people discussing her on the WLLK group, and I will defend her to the end! She is a strong woman, feeling all the responsibility of putting her own happiness and wants aside so she can marry for money, so her family doesn't end up in more dire circumstances than they already are. Even if she went to work, it wouldn't be enough to keep her brother in school, and she desperately wants him to have a good life and in Victorian England that meant being wealthy and high-born or having a solid career such as barrister. Not possible without an education. Who can fault her for wanting her family to be taken care of? And what can she do to ensure this? Nothing except marry well. This is not a time when women could do as they wish, otherwise I think Annabelle would have found a way to succeed without a man. She is old fashioned in her thinking that it has to be a title lord, but you have to remember this is a tumultuous time in England. Many of the peerage are looking down on the industrialists, and the peerage have always been in control. A new world order is coming into play, and those who are in danger of being brushed aside don't know what to do. Many of those coming up and making way are not exactly the polite society types, this is bound to cause a stir. Sticking with what she knows, the peerage, feels safe to Annabelle, and again, I can't blame her for being cautious. She does come around, and once she does she is firmly in Simon's corner. It's great to see her continue to grow as a person and be accepting of the change, instead of closed minded about it. And she loves clothes and pretty things, so what? She's a woman after my own heart!

* Simon's devotion to her! It leaves him feeling unhinged and edgy, and when he tries to ignore it and it overwhelms him anyway, it is the most beautiful thing I've ever read! This is what alpha heroes should be about! He knows he's falling in love with her, and there's not a damn thing he can do to stop it! For a man who controls every aspect in his life, not being able to control this drives him mad. It is adorable! The fact that he's not a total brute and is super possessive (a trait I love) is a bonus!

Things I didn't love:

***crickets chirping away***

I usually can find something, anything I don't like in a book. There's nothing I don't love about this one. I even liked Lillian in this one! It's not until her book comes along I don't care for her too much, and each book she gets worse, but here she starts off great! I swear on all things holy, if you don't love this book, I will strangle you! How can you not love it!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secrets of a Summer Night.

Quotes Shelly Liked

Lisa Kleypas
“Annabelle’s eyes stung as she stared at him, while need and inexhaustible tenderness gathered like an ache in her body. “I realized something,” she said huskily, “when I was standing outside the foundry, watching it burn and knowing you were inside.” She swallowed hard against the thickness in her throat. “I would rather have died in your arms, Simon, than face a lifetime without you. All those endless years… all those winters, summers… a hundred seasons of wanting you and never having you. Growing old, while you stayed eternally young in my memories.” She bit her lip and shook her head, while her eyes flooded. “I was wrong when I told you that I didn’t know where I belonged. I do. With you, Simon. Nothing matters except being with you. You’re stuck with me forever, and I’ll never listen when you tell me to go.” She managed a tremulous smile. “So you may as well stop complaining and resign yourself to it.”

Lisa Kleypas
“Having regrets is the only sign that you’ve done anything interesting with your life.”

Lisa Kleypas
“The earl shook his head, exhibiting a degree of frosty offense that could only be achieved by an aristocrat whose wishes had just been gainsaid. “I’ve never heard of a man being so eager to confess to the parent of a girl he’s just ruined,” he said sourly.”

Lisa Kleypas
“Annabelle gave him a chiding smile. “If you’re implying that I’m spoiled, I assure you that I am not.”
“You should be.” His warm gaze slid over her pink-tinted face and slender upper body, then sought hers again. There was a note in his voice that gently robbed her of breath. “You could do with a bit of spoiling.”

Lisa Kleypas
“Where are we going?” Annabelle asked, resisting his hold on her wrist.
“To the house. If they’re not willing to be witnesses, then it seems I’ll have to debauch you in front of someone else.”

Lisa Kleypas
“I’ve never heard of a man being so eager to confess to the parent of a girl he’s just ruined”

Lisa Kleypas
“I'm not short," Daisy muttered. "Short women are never mysterious, or elegant, or pursued by handsome men. And they're always treated like children. I refuse to be short.”

Lisa Kleypas
“I'm coming to believe that there are two kinds of people... those who choose to be masters of their own fate and those who wait in chairs while other dance. I would rather be one of the former than the latter.”
tags: evie

Lisa Kleypas
“It seemed as if some subtle current of recognition had passed between them... not as if they had met before... but as if they had come close several times until finally an impatient Fate had forced their paths to intersect.”

Lisa Kleypas
“I spent most of my youth hauling sides of beef and pork to my father's shop. Carrying you is far more enjoyable."

"How sweet," Annabelle mumbled sickly, her eyes closed. "Every woman dreams of being told that she's preferable to a dead cow.”

Lisa Kleypas
“We are hidiously rich Annabelle-- and I've got three older brothers, all unmarried. Would you consider one of them? If you like, I'll have one shipped across the Atlantic for your inspection." -Lillian Bowman”

Lisa Kleypas
“Evie," Lillian interupted impatiently, "men expect to be deceived in these matters. They're happiest that way. If one were straightforward with them the whole prospect of marriage would be too alarming, and none of them would ever do it.”

Lisa Kleypas
“Hunt looked like a man who had visited many woman's beds and knew exactly what to do in them.”

Lisa Kleypas
“My peer would have to be dark-haired and handsome, a wonderful dancer... and he would never ask permission before he kissed me." -Lillian Bowman”

Lisa Kleypas
“How sweet," Annabelle mumbled sickly her eyes closed. "Every woman dreams of being told that she's preferable to a dead cow.”

Lisa Kleypas
“The truth is, you can never really know a man until you've loaned him money. And you can never know a woman until you've slept in her bed.”

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Bekah so glad you took the plunge!!

Shelly Me too!