Jenn's Reviews > Laird of Darkness

Laird of Darkness by Nicole North

Mar 29, 11

Read on March 29, 2011

This was a quick, easy, read. It was relatively predictable and the world building was interesting. I did not connect with the characters or the story as much as I would have liked to, but I think that might be the nature of the novella. The writing was sound, the relationship was thoughtful. I liked the relationship, but I'm starting to think I am not cut out for novellas, because I want more from my characters. I think this could have been a lot more than it was, if it was built on. There was just too much going on for such a short story. The intimate scenes were beautifully written, but without the rest of the story they weren't really enough to carry the book.

The ending was neat and tidy, practically with a bow on top. I wish I had more to say about it but it just didn't impress too much upon me. The part I do remember is the preposterous bullseye. Yes preposterous. Not at all believable.

As for the cover. sigh. I don't like it. I could go into why, but I don't want to.

This book left me wanting. I rolled my eyes so hard I got a headache. I didn't throw it across the room though (probably because there wasn't enough time) and for the same reason it probably didn't keep me up at night. A bit of WTFckry. Overall a meh.

I received this for review from NetGalley.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Laird of Darkness.