Rachel Brand's Reviews > The Summer Book

The Summer Book by Tove Jansson

Mar 30, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read from March 28 to 29, 2011

I ended up enjoying this book a lot more than I expected. While there was no real, overarching plot I loved reading all of the little episodes about Sophia and her grandmother's adventures. Tove really captures the beauty of childhood and several of Sophie's profound statements about life actually made me laugh out loud. In places it was sad to see how frail the grandmother was growing, without Sophia really understanding. Despite there being no real conclusion, I felt that the characters had grown over the course of the book. As other reviewers have commented, this felt like a non-fiction book, and apparently the author based parts of it on real-life experiences. I can't really express what it was that I enjoyed about this book, but it was a fascinating insight into the minds of a child and her grandmother spending their summer on an isolated island. The portrayal of the characters was excellent and evoked the right emotions from me, and the descriptions of the island were wonderful. I shall have to type up some of my favourite quotes, particularly the ones about Sophia. I wonder if I came out with such amusing comments when I was that age? 7/10
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summer Book.

03/29/2011 page 95