David's Reviews > Everything is Obvious: Once You Know the Answer

Everything is Obvious by Duncan J. Watts

Apr 13, 11

bookshelves: read-2011
Read from April 07 to 13, 2011

The book goes on over a set of examples to discuss, not the obvious as the title says, but how the recent changes in society and the abundance of data is changing the role of Sociology in modern science.

The book is well written in a simple language that proves helpful to understand some advanced topics (that are usually developed in the Notes section) but as I already knew some of the stories, the successive repetition seemed a bit exasperating at times (the book success example is annoying).
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything is Obvious.

04/07/2011 page 30
04/10/2011 page 82
32.0% ""it sold well because lots of people bought it" - The Obvious truth about almost anything social"
04/11/2011 page 108
42.0% "I think I've read Miglram's six steps of sparation story one hundred times in any Complexity, network book I read! Argh..."
04/11/2011 page 134
52.0% "Where I got tired of Duncan Watts talking about "what could make a book become a bestseller"! I think he used this example n times with n large in these first 134 pages..."
04/11/2011 page 161
63.0% "From common sense to Laplace's Deamon and uncommon sense."
04/12/2011 page 187
73.0% "Where everything is about predicting football outcomes, markets and going to the movies... with a full house (Can we predict if El Farol bar is packed this friday night?)"
show 1 hidden update…