Andrea Guy's Reviews > Lady in Waiting

Lady in Waiting by Susan Meissner

Mar 30, 2011

bookshelves: 2011-reads, historical-fiction
Read from March 29 to 30, 2011

To say I loved this story would be an understatement. Lady In Waiting tops my list of books I will forever adore. It was so beautifully written, entwining the lives of a modern day Jane trying to come to terms with her life and Lady Jane Grey, the nine days Queen of England.

The modern day Jane feels so real. She could be the lady at the antique store in your town. Her issues with her parents and her husband make her a little bit annoying at times, but considering the upheaval she's going through, she has every right to be that way.

The historical portion is told through the eyes of Lucy Day, a dressmaker to Lady Jane Grey. Lucy and Jane's friendship blossoms and continues to grow until the execution of the the Queen.

Susan Meissner really made all the characters believable, and though this is a work of fiction...and the relationship aspect of the story, between Lady Jane and Lord Edward Seymour is based on "What if" rather than fact, the story feels real.

I really found this book hard to put down. I really wanted to know what was going to happen next in both parts of the story, and though I didn't care as much for Jane and her husband Brad, I wanted them to work things out.

If you are a fan of historical fiction, especially the works of Jean Plaidy or Phillipa Gregory, this is definitely a book to try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady in Waiting.