ns's Reviews > Adrien English Mysteries: Fatal Shadows and A Dangerous Thing

Adrien English Mysteries by Josh Lanyon

Sep 04, 11

bookshelves: mm

I recently learnt that in the second book of this series, A Dangerous Thing, a character uses the n* word. A simple twist of fate, perhaps, that I missed about three quarters of a page on my first reading of this book. And all my re-reading has always been from the point of Jake's entry into the book.

It's rather remarkable to me that in over a decade in print and with all its recent popularity, not a single person or review or discussion has brought this up, that I know of, until recently. There is no mention of this anywhere, nor in any warning printed in the book's description.

Fair enough.

For this reader, it was a remarkable testimony to just how far we still have to go. Was it too sensitive a subject? Not worthy of discussion? Did anyone care that this might be a shock to certain people reading this book?

I understand the author not bringing it up. That noone else did is a cold fact that has managed to alienate and depress me in ways I haven't finished processing yet. This is not a concern I expect non-US readers to understand or empathize with. I just didn't expect it to be this large of a majority here as well.

A long way to go...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Adrien English Mysteries.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becky (new)

Becky Where is it? Because I've read the book a couple times now, and I don't remember that at all.

message 2: by ns (new) - added it

ns Becky wrote: "Where is it? Because I've read the book a couple times now, and I don't remember that at all."

It's early on in the scene with the cops when he reports the first dead body he sees. Page 16 of the print book, just a little into Chapter 2, if that helps. Easy to miss.

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky ns wrote: "Becky wrote: "Where is it? Because I've read the book a couple times now, and I don't remember that at all."

I went back and looked. It's on page 161 of the digital Fatal Shadows/A Dangerous Thing set.

I think the reason it didn't stick with me was the context. It's used by a minor character as part of an expression, not directed at someone. It's the kind of casual racism that you still see a lot of in rural areas and the south. It's not the kind of expression I would ever use, or care to hear in my presence. But that one sentence gives the reader a pretty clear picture of the kind of person the Sheriff is and the kind of treatment Adrien is likely to encounter.