Jocelin's Reviews > Something Like Love

Mar 28, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: historical-romance
Read in March, 2011

Enjoyed the book alot, Olivia Jean Sterling was a stark contradiction in the late 1880's. She ran away form home to escape a doomed arranged marriage to a pompous self-serving jerk. Started a new enterprise and started a new life in Henry Adams, Kansas. She meets a dashing outlaw named Neil July, that takes her breathe away and sends her heart fluttering. I think that Olivia is a very captivating heroine; very likeable strong female lead. Her story is an interesting one she takes a big risk by leaving everything to start her life on her own terms. The book had a lot of great facts and it really lent authenticity to the novel. The author listed information in the back where she got the information. One problem that I did have with the story was that the male romantic counterpart was merely window dressing. For an outlaw and rogue; he was really boring. I liked the fact that he was slightly mysterious, funny, very charming but he was just a little dull for me. I think because of who Olivia was she needed a person that would stand out a little more. Sometimes, in the story I felt that Olivia's personality overshadowed Neil's on many different levels. I did think that they made a nice complement to one another.
This is my first time every reading anything from Beverly Jenkins. One of the reasons I picked up her book was because she graduated from my alma mater Cass Technical High School in Detroit, MI. So I knew that she had to be talented ;). This book was dedicated to her late husband I thought that the dedication and the acknowledgement that she wrote in the book were very sweet. The other reason I was excited to read this book was because it had gotten really good reviews on the Goodreads site. Looking forward to reading more of her historical novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Like Love.