Becca-Rawr's Reviews > Predicting New Words: The Secrets of Their Success

Mar 30, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: challenge-11, non-fiction
Read from March 28 to 30, 2011

Allan Metcalf’s Predicting New Words had a fantastic concept, but it was remarkably unremarkable. I was excited to read a book that would talk of words, how they are coined, how they die out or, miraculously, survive. However, from the beginning of this book I learned to settle for a little less and just read what I was dealt.

I learned a few new facts, such as where the term ‘couch potato’ came from, and how not to create a word, but I was otherwise bored and sometimes a little lost. He wasn’t the most organized writer I had ever read, and so bouncing around with his ideas and examples was a little annoying.

As an English Major, this stuff naturally interests me. I’ve read a lot of books on words, and this one is by far, not my favorite. I was really hoping it would, but it was a swing and a miss. No runs, no wickets, just a bit of a let down. Hidden among the pages may be hidden gems, but it’s hard to find them through the unimportant lull that is most of this book.

I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys the written word, however. It may not be a favorite of mine, but I am still glad to have read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Predicting New Words.