Tom Lee's Reviews > Winter's Tale

Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin

Apr 17, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Read from March 29 to April 17, 2011

One of the most beautiful books I've read. It's so good that it even makes me reconsider the author's political views about intellectual property and technology, which I find personally odious (you will note that there is no Kindle edition available).

I feel bad writing that, as Helprin alleges that his novels are ignored because of his politics. But this novel is a lovely evocation of what I take to be the best parts of that sensibility -- romanticism, and sentimentality, and ultimate transcendence. It's also quite funny, and uniformly eloquent.

Divided into four books, the stunning magic of the first begins to recede as we move into the modern age, and by the third -- an often-silly (though sometimes also funny) discursion about two rival newspapers, which reminded me at points of David Simon's artistic failure when talking about the newspaper industry -- I began to doubt whether the first book was really as overpowering as I remembered. But then it all comes roaring back. Ice cracks, a city burns, and a bridge is erected that is meant to end history. You should read this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter's Tale.

04/01/2011 page 116
16.0% "Already one of the most astounding books I've read. Wow."