Lisa's Reviews > The Betrayal of Maggie Blair

The Betrayal of Maggie Blair by Elizabeth Laird

Mar 28, 11

Read in March, 2011

Maggie is a young girl who lives with her old, haggard grandmother who is quite outspoken and set in her ways. When Maggie's grandmother upsets some of the villagers she gets accused of being a witch and unwillingly drags Maggie into the horror of it all. Maggie escapes with the help of an old friend that gets her safely to her uncles house. Once again tragedy upsets Maggie's life and she feels the need to set things right.

When I first heard about this novel I assumed it would concentrate on Maggie being accused of being of a witch. I thought I'd be reading about charms and natural remedies that people often mistook for witchcraft. Instead, most of this novel revolves around the religious battles that occurred in 17th century Scotland.

This was a wonderfully written depiction of the struggles between church and state. It's historical accuracy is one of my favorite features. I loved that fact that I was reading about true events and the lives of the author's ancestors. This fact made the characters come to life for me and appreciate their stances that much more.

This action-packed, page flipping novel had a new conflict around every corner. Once one conflict was resolved another popped into place. Full of deceit, cunning strategy and religious zeal this is a novel is a must read.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this novel from the publishers and NetGalley with no compensation. This did not affect my opinion or review of the novel in any way.

www.gardenofbooks.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Betrayal of Maggie Blair.