Ginger's Reviews > Gone for Good

Gone for Good by Harlan Coben

Feb 21, 12

bookshelves: mystery, library-book, name-challenge-2012, read-2012
Read from February 18 to 21, 2012, read count: once

Let me start this review by saying my rating is a low 4 stars. A 3 star rating wouldn't have been fair (to me) but a 4 star rating is stretching it...therefore, a low 4 stars.

I usually really enjoy Harlan Coben's stand alone books. This one just didn't seem to have one of the elements I usually find in his books: page turning frenzy from the first page. It certainly didn't have that element until well over the half-way mark. Gone for Good did hold a few surprises which I never, ever saw coming, BUT some things I figured out on my own.

The first 50 or so pages, I just struggled. There were quite a few characters introduced and the story wasn't very gripping. I even thought about putting it down, but decided to give it a fair try. After about 130 pages, the pace started picking up somewhat.

In this story, Sheila (Will's girlfriend) has a past she won't talk about. I'm sorry, but I found it somewhat unbelievable that Will wouldn't press the issue. REALLY?? If you've been dating someone for a year, thinking about proposing to her (or him), and your partner doesn't want to share ANYTHING about the past, wouldn't you want them to divulge everything??? Or, would it in your opinion, be okay to find out tidbits AFTER marriage??

There were other things/circumstances in the story which I found hard to fathom. I won't go into detail, as I don't want to spoil this for others.

I hate to say it, but had this been my first book by Mr. Coben, I doubt I would be reading anything else written by him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone for Good.

02/18/2012 page 25