kari's Reviews > A Small Death in the Great Glen: A Novel

Mar 28, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2011
Read in March, 2011

I'm giving this one a 3, but it is really more a 2.5. However 2 is for a book I don't like and I did enjoy some parts of this one.
First the langage was a bit difficult. Now while they speak English, there are bits of slang and terms that I didn't know and many of them aren't explained. That made for some rough reading. I've read other books that can giver the language and flavor of a place while still being very readable.
There seem to be too many characters so that none of them are really developed. Joanne, who we are told is one of the main characters (which I guess she was, sort of) and helps solve the crime, but she doesn't do anything to solve the death of the small boy. She is wrapped up in her own problems with an abusive husband. She was a character about whom I'd have liked to know more. In fact, all of the main characters left me more curious than anything.
There are several usual red herrings and of those some are better developed than others.
I think the biggest problem I have is that there wasn't really any tension. This was a book you could easily put down. There wasn't anything pulling me in and making me want to keep reading to the end. I could have easily left unfinished and not felt I missed out on anything.
The book kind of meanders along, telling about a wedding, and Halloween and dances and various everyday occurances. A little local color to add to the story goes a long way and I'd have gladly lost some description of the hills and rivers and more character development and a tighter story.
All in all, it isn't bad, but it could definitely be better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Small Death in the Great Glen.

Kelly Powers I agree with the language that is what i am having a hard time with right now

message 2: by kari (last edited Aug 30, 2011 05:47AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

kari There is a follow-up book to this one. I haven't decided whether to try it or not. I didn't love this one, but found it interesting, more so than entertaining.
And the language really did get in the way as I didn't understand some of what they were saying, the slang, etc. I wish it had less of the local color/descriptions and more to the actual story.