Paula's Reviews > The Space Between Trees

The Space Between Trees by Katie Williams

Mar 31, 11

bookshelves: 50-book-challenge
Read from March 28 to 30, 2011

I expected to like this book more than I eventually did. It started out well, with an interesting set-up, and I liked the voice of the main character, Evie. But it just seemed to play out too long without anything much really happening.
Evie had once been friends with a girl whose dead body is found early one Sunday morning in the woods near where Evie has her paper route. After this turn of events, wihch seems like the set-up to a mystery whodunnit, the book spends a lot of time following the relationship Evie forms with the dead girl's more recent best friend, Hadley. Although the girls are ostensibly looking for Zabet's (the dead girl's)killer, they just really seem to be wasting time making up lists and driving to different places, and having what seems to be a pretty dysfunctional relationship. Hadley comes off as being mentally ill. Worse than that (at least to me, as a reader) she's annoying. Reeeaally annoying. I just wanted to smack her sometimes, and then I wanted to smack Evie for wasting time with this girl. I found myself hurrying through the scenes between these two, because I just wanted to read something.....better. More interesting. Less annoying. I know Evie wanted a friend realy badly and all, but surely even she could see that no friend is better than a truly annoying, CRAZY friend.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Space Between Trees.