Sara Diane's Reviews > Notes from the Tilt-A-Whirl: Wide-Eyed Wonder in God's Spoken World

Notes from the Tilt-A-Whirl by N.D. Wilson

May 07, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, 2011, spiritual, own, for-rebekah, reviewed
Recommended to Sara Diane by: Amber Thompson Constant
Recommended for: artists, Christians, everyone
Read from March 28 to April 04, 2011, read count: 1

It is a rare book that compels me to flip from the final page right back to the first and start reading again--even more rare for it to be a non-fiction book. But in Wilson's offering I found just such a book. Wilson is the brother I never had, and he's just enough older than me to put my thoughts into words in ways I couldn't yet.

As he examines life and God and art there is nothing safe and nothing untouchable. Wilson looks at philosophers throughout history and offers up his take on the world. His writing is beautiful, funny, witty, and just plain wonderful. It is poetic without being poetry, it's deep without the oxygen depravity of the ocean, it stretches wide enough to examine the universe, yet it remains focused enough to ponder a single snowflake. The reading feels a bit like the ride in the title--it spins you and tosses you from one thing to another, pausing only to let new riders on. And just the ride, I find myself not wanting to get off. Let me go again!

This book is destined to become one that I can't live without, that I will have to know where it is at any given moment, and have it available to read at the drop of a hat. And now I should go write Wilson the most wonderful thank you letter--

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Notes from the Tilt-A-Whirl.