Gwynne's Reviews > The Child in Time

The Child in Time by Ian McEwan

Apr 26, 11

Recommended for: Marci Baswell
Read from April 23 to 26, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Ian McEwan, why must you be such a gorgeous stylist?

Ian McEwan, were you born possessing the genius of your generation, or did you make a deal with the devil to be so wise?

I'll make no bones about it. I'm an Ian McEwan groupie. I fell in love with his novels last summer. I just can't get enough of him. *The Child in Time* is now my second favorite of his work. (*Atonement* was my first love.)

My fiancé once teased me that my favorite childhood hobby was crying. Not true. My favorite childhood hobby was reading unbearably sad books that made me cry. *The Child in Time* is sad, particularly the first few chapters, but it's also fantastically complex with an expert weaving of personal loss and denial with 1980s national loss and denial and fear. Additionally, it's quite a creepy book, featuring a high-ranking conservative British official slipping into delusions of grandeur of the prepubescent sort. Finally, McEwan's preoccupation with urban and post-pastoral landscapes never fails to give this nature nerd shivers.

If you're looking for drug running, physical violence, and Hemingway-esque prose, *The Child in Time* is probably not for you. If you're the kind of person not afraid to read a book whose cover features a dead-eyed stuffed toy, then *The Child in Time* should be right up your alley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Child in Time.

04/23/2011 page 95