Josh's Reviews > Gone Bad

Gone Bad by Julie Morrigan

Mar 30, 11

bookshelves: kindle, own, noir, short_stories, read_2011
Read from March 29 to 30, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Gone Bad is a collection of 18 short stories by Julie Morrigan. Judging from this collection, it's safe to say that from the dark and gritty depths of urbane noir a new queen has risen. Morrigan's stories are filled with traditional darkness, humanitarian horror, humour, torture and violence. 'Keeping It Real' is a perfect blend of noir and horror as an aspiring crime writer takes to torturing their victim to death for the purpose of capturing the perfect murder scene in their novel. 'It Could Be You' tells the tale of a lottery ticket which leads to death - family drama with a touch of hit-man. 'The Loan Arranger' made me feel as though I were reading Allan Guthrie.-Morrigan explored all manner of depravity and pure wrongness in 'Colin' - a torrid story of a sex crazed teenager and the similarly themed 'Local Hero' - a story of a would-be rapist who ends up a maimed hero after saving his would be victim from an attempted rape. Other notable mentions include 'Watching', a tale about an overprotective father who makes a mess of his daughters life, and the humours 'Pick a Pig Night'. However, its 'Devlin, Me an Cheery B' and 'Let's Dance' which take the cake - both showcase strong and unrelenting female protagonists who know how to survive and fight for what they want. As far as short story collections go, you'd be hard pressed to find a better splattering of noir in the one place. Bring on the full length novel - 4 stars.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone Bad.

03/29/2011
78.0% "a solid collection of Noir short stories. A good choice for my first Kindle read."