Adriana's Reviews > Abandon

Abandon by Meg Cabot

Mar 28, 2011

bookshelves: ya-fantasy-series, ya-mystery, ya-romance, ya-social-situations
Read from March 28 to 30, 2011

The story is based on the Greek myth of Persephone and Hades. In this case Pierce Oliviera travels to the underworld after she accidentally drowns. While there she meets John Hayden, the current lord of the Underworld. He remembers her from a previous encounter and she ends up in his living quarters. When Pierce realizes what is going on, she manages to barely escape and back on earth she is revived. Of course no one she knows will believe her story, but she does carry with her a rare diamond necklace that John gave her while she was in the underworld. The necklace is supposed to protect her, but Pierce really doesn't know how it works, only that it turns different colors around different people. This all happens when she is 15-years-old. Two years later her parents are divorced and she and her mom are making a "fresh start" in her mom's hometown of Isla Huesos (based on the real Key West). But this is where Pierce met John during the previous encounter they had from whence he remembered her, so of course she sees him again, and of course he isn't too happy since Pierce did escape the underworld to get away from him. There are some other "incidents" that take place, and they are brought up kind of haphazardly throughout the story. All of the incidents are related to John, and to other aspects of the Greek myth that Abandon is based on. I enjoyed this twist on a Greek tale and I also enjoyed the chemistry between John and Pierce. The characterizations, setting, and plot twists were also intriguing. What irked me though was how the author confused me with all of the incidents, as well as her sentence structure (she uses a lot of dashes in her writing, when she wants to insert a thought into the sentence that isn't necessarily a main part of the rest of the sentence). I also thought some points in the story were kind of hokey, but I think my teen-self wouldn't have noticed that as much as my adult-self notices it. And finally I thought the Dante quotes at the beginning of each chapter were unnecessary, one at the beginning of the book would have sufficed. Regardless of the things that irked me, I would recommend Abandon to anyone who enjoys a re-told tale, a fantasy, a romance, or all three, and of course to anyone who likes Meg Cabot's work. (Note: I read an advance copy)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abandon.