LiteraryLover's Reviews > Grave Mercy

Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers

This book is a little hard to define. The story takes place within a medieval Britain setting about a young girl who gets saved from a unwanted marriage by joining a convent devoted to serving the God of Death. This God is real and the convent trains young women by serving his orders to kill traitors and various other criminals within the realm. These young women are trained to be lethal assassins from a young age and their targets have a particular mark on them made by the God of Death. The lead character is still considered a novice when she gets caught in a trap to spy on the nobility in a political game all the while trying to figure out her feelings on a particular nobleman that may be a traitor himself.

This is part historical fiction, part fantasy, part spy-espionage story, part romance. So really just a big mixture of things I like all thrown into one book. I did feel like parts of this book dragged for me and I wanted the mystical elements in the story a bit more explained. I also wanted the lead character to use more of her assassin training in the book as she mostly just hid in corners and spied on people. However it was really good and I was glued to the pages despite these issues especially considering it's a young adult book. The plot was nicely developed and I didn't want to strangle any of the characters in frustration as I typically find in a lot of YA lately.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grave Mercy.

05/17/2014 marked as: currently-reading