Lauren's Reviews > The Last of Her Kind

The Last of Her Kind by Sigrid Nunez

Feb 25, 08

Read in February, 2008

I have to admit that this book is full of things I love: seven sister colleges, New York City, counterculture (and its backlash), the social movements of the 60s and how they evolved in the 70s, unhealthy female friendships.

While there was a romance that I felt was a misstep, I thought that the author made such interesting choices in the way she chose to structure and reveal her story that I was won over in the end. Utterly moved, I became way too involved with this story.

In a lot of ways, George reminded me of Lee from "Prep;" not terribly likable, the epitome of the failed, unremarkable scholarship student whose achievements pale in light of her more well-rounded, wealthy, experienced peers. But Nunez gives George the space (without inflicting some awful forced sympathy on the reader) to be a sympathetic character even though she's in no way heroic and she will never be anything like her flawed foil, Ann. This book made me think about the way we measure our lives and kindness we should offer each other and ourselves.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last of Her Kind.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nora It's interesting you mention Lee from _Prep_; I hadn't drawn the comparison, but it makes total sense. The difference is that I loathed Lee from page one and grew to really like George.

For me, the clinching moment that moved this one into the "really like it" category is all the Gatsby stuff. Oh, how I dislike Gatsby.