Tiffany Cole's Reviews > The Remains

The Remains by Vincent Zandri

Jun 08, 2011

Read from March 28 to May 30, 2011

*If you'd like to win the book in a 'Comment Giveaway Contest,' all you have to do is visit http://fuisti.blogspot.com/2011/06/re... by June 15th!*

When Rebecca Underhill was thirteen and her twin sister Molly was still alive, they ventured into a forest their parents warned them against and explored a creepy, old house they thought could become their 'home away from home.' Turns out it was already claimed...and not by a particularly sane man either. Thirty years later, Rebecca is a painter and art instructor living a pretty lonely life with her ex-husband. No one knows about the terrible things that happened those three hours. She still wrestles with the memories, though - even moreso this year.

There's the mystery text messages and phone calls, for one. But nothing alarms her more than Franny's specialized paintings just for her.

Franny's art is top-of-the notch beautiful and phenomenal. It's expected, what with his title of gifted, autistic art savant. His coming to Rebecca's art center is more a matter of comfort than anything else, since he certainly doesn't need artistic assistance. For the first time, Franny paints a picture specifically for Rebecca, and it's more than a gift. There's a word in there - Listen - that only she and Franny can see. Not her ex-husband. Not her best friend. Just Rebecca and Franny.

As the days go on, there's more paintings, more mystery texts and phone calls, more questionable moments where Rebecca feels as though she's being watched and followed.

Maybe what happened all those years ago isn't as over as she thought.

I remember my first impression of the prologue and the first chapter. I felt a sense of confusion, dread, and excitement for what was ahead. Vincent Zandri's writing is eloquent, easy-flowing, confident and mature. His sentences are as carefully chosen as his words, and I love how realistic his characters are. The story's foundation is steadied by pacing and build-up - the type that makes you ask questions from the get-go.

I wanted to know exactly how a man getting out of jail, a letter to a long gone sister, and a woman who runs an art center connected. Zandri did me the favor of quickly making that clear, yet maintaining mystery in various parts throughout. A lot of the story is step-by-step build up, so don't expect constant action. However, be prepared for a fun, scary ride when it all comes together.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Remains.

04/09/2011 page 45 "Very good, so far!"
04/27/2011 page 97 "Things are getting better and better. Loving the build-up. ^_^"
05/21/2011 page 131 "Loving this Franny character."
05/29/2011 page 153 "I'm upset that it's taking me so long to read a book this good, but that's entirely my fault. -_-"
05/30/2011 page 283 "And the story is coming to an end..."
show 1 hidden update…