Steph Sinclair's Reviews > The Immortal Rules

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

Apr 11, 12

bookshelves: vamps, ebook, netgalley, post-apocalyptic, young-adult, 2012-release, e-arc, harlequin, 2012-reads, ass-kickin-heroine, could-have-been-better, i-liked-it, it-wasn-t-all-that-but-enjoyable, original-and-creative, i-own-it, signed-book, bea-2013
Recommended to Steph by: Me, 'cause I'm cool like that
Recommended for: Vampire fanatics looking for something new
Read from March 21 to April 09, 2012, read count: 1

Actual rating: 3.5 stars

When I first found out Kagawa was journeying down the vampire path, I was nervous. I mean, vampires have been written about over and over in the YA world and I wasn't sure what could be added. I had imaginary conversations, pleading with her, "Julie, are you sure you wanna do this?" And in all her awesomeness she pretty much told me, "Steph, chill. I got this." Do you know what I love about Julie Kagawa? I love how she can take a completely overused paranormal creature like fairies or vampires and create a whole new spin on them. Just when I was starting to lose faith in the Children of the Night, The Immortal Rules comes along and makes me rethink everything I thought I knew about vampires.

The Immortal Rules tells the story of Allison Sekemoto living in a future where most of the human population was killed by a disease called Red Lung. But that's not the only problem. Vampires now rule their world and have caused the human race to become their pets, scavengers, and monsters themselves. And let's not forget about the Rabids that stalk the earth just waiting to take a bite or two out of a human. Allison hate vampires, but when faced with the choice of death or becoming that which she has always loathed, she chooses the latter. When she flees from New Covington, Allie runs into a group of humans. She decides to travel with them, hiding her true nature from them as they travel searching for Eden (and yes, there are Christian themes in the book), a human city not ruled by vampires. She's always thought being a human was hard, but she quickly learns that being a vampire isn't exactly a walk in the park either, especially when you're wanted.

The best thing I loved about The Immortal Rules were the vampires. These aren't the cute sparkly vamps that try their hardest, fighting their nature, by feasting off animals instead of humans. Oh, no. These bad boys are vicious killers, just like unlike 'em! It is made very clear early in the novel that vampires have to drink from humans in order to survive and that one day Allison would kill a human no matter how hard she tried not to. Hell to the yeah. Real vampires! They're back!

That's what I'm talking about!

I also really enjoyed the creativity in this novel. Do you know what happens when Underworld and The Forest of Hands and Teeth have a baby? The result, if you didn't guess, is The Immortal Rules. It was a really cool mix of both flesh-eating, zombie-like creatures and bloodsucking vamps, surrounding poor, defenseless humans. Kagawa wasn't afraid to kill her characters off and show Allison some tough lovin'! I really hate when authors attempt to give every lovable character in the book a "hall pass" from death. The impact of the scene and story usually suffer, but not here. People died, viciously. Such is the way of the circle of life.

My biggest and only issue with the book was the extremely slow first half. It just felt like it dragged on and on. I just wanted to bang my head against a wall. And because of that, I can't give this book 4 stars. However, where the beginning was boring (to me at least), the second half makes up for lost time. Because this is another thing I love about Kagawa: Her action scenes and endings are kick-ass. I was getting major Underworld vibes from Allison and it was awesome. Every time she cut someone's head off, I got ridiculously giddy. I'm not lying when I say the second half saved this book.

Characters:
In the beginning I really disliked Allie. She and I weren't getting along very well because she had an attitude and personality that gave Oscar the Grouch a run for his money. I get why she was like that, but that didn't mean I had to like it. Thankfully, by the end of the novel, I did end up connecting with her. It was very subtle and snuck up on me. Of course, it didn't hurt that she was a badass, katana wielder either. "Useless," she was not! Kick some ass, she did. Lol. Okay, I'll spare you with my Yoda talk, but seriously the second half was a lot of fun.

Zeke, the love interest, was just okay for me. He was very sweet, caring, loyal, all those things you love to see in a person. While I did like him, I feel like I need to see more of him it the next book before I make up my mind.

Kanin (P.S. was that derived from "The land of Canaan?"), Allie's mentor was my favorite character. We didn't see a lot of him and that made me a bit disappointed, but things are looking up for more page time in the next novel.

So overall I did enjoy the novel and I'm looking forward to book two. It looks like Kagawa is planning on kicking it up a notch, so she can count me in. ;D

*A note on the cover: DISLIKE! Allison is of Japanese descent. Thus, the girl on the cover disappoints me for obvious reasons. -_-

ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley. Thank you!
More reviews and other fantastical things at Cuddlebuggery Book Blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Immortal Rules.

04/03/2012
04/05/2012
36.0% "This book isn't as exciting as I hoped it would be." 5 comments
04/06/2012
42.0% "Interesting. This new group of humans all have biblical names and are looking for a place called Eden." 2 comments
04/09/2012
67.0% "Finally. This book is finally picking up a bit." 3 comments
04/09/2012
70.0% "Say WHAT now?! O_O" 9 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 51: by Giselle (new) - added it

Giselle There are things you can't unsee in life, that vampire picture is one of them. *rocks back and forth in terror*

Kelly Of course, the name also brings to mind (view spoiler)

Steph Sinclair @Giselle, just wait until you read the book! Muhahahah!

@Kelly, (view spoiler).

Kelly (view spoiler)

Steph Sinclair Kelly wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

Ooooohhhhh...hahaha. I'll just sit and wait for you to finish the book. :3

Julianna Helms Aw man, I traded it because I got bored by the first half, too. Maybe I should've given the second half a try? Ah, well, awesome review, nonetheless! :D

Steph Sinclair Julianna wrote: "Aw man, I traded it because I got bored by the first half, too. Maybe I should've given the second half a try? Ah, well, awesome review, nonetheless! :D"

Thanks! And, yes! I think it's worth giving another try. The second half is where the magic happens. :)

Vanessa *Bluest Ribbon* I'm glad you liked it, Steph! (view spoiler)

Blythe Vanessa *Bluest Ribbon* wrote: "I'm glad you liked it, Steph! [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Amanda The Book Slayer Great Review. I didn't think about Underworld but now that you mention it I see it! Love that movie by the way, I just might have to watch it.

Steph Sinclair @Vanessa and Blythe, (view spoiler)

@Mommaeseymour, I love Underworld! I think there is another movie coming out soon too. :)

Amanda The Book Slayer Yeah. I think that's what my Hubby said too. I think this one she was frozen and then comes back kinda like in Resident Evil. I might be a movie behind though, but I am pretty sure that is the right one.

Erica (daydreamer) That picture of the vampire makes me shudder.

Steph Sinclair @Mommaeseymour, isn't this the one with her daughter in it?

@Erica, right?! But it's so accurate!

Amanda The Book Slayer Yeah I think so. But I haven't see the preview in a while.

message 66: by Bonnie (new) - added it

Bonnie Yay, you got me excited for this book now! Love action heroines way more then the "omg I'm going to watch in horror as the people around me get killed because of me" kind. It's why I need to have a healthy dose of zoombie apocalypse books now and then. Great review!

Steph Sinclair Bonnie wrote: "Yay, you got me excited for this book now! Love action heroines way more then the "omg I'm going to watch in horror as the people around me get killed because of me" kind. It's why I need to have a..."

Oh, then you will love this one! I hope you enjoy and thank you!

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Great review, I totally agree. And I was also really disappointed in the cover. When it mentioned she was Asian in the book I just kept looking at the cover like, "Wait ... WHAT? WHY IS SHE WHITE ON THE COVER?" I find that rather disturbing. :-/

Steph Sinclair Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* wrote: "Great review, I totally agree. And I was also really disappointed in the cover. When it mentioned she was Asian in the book I just kept looking at the cover like, "Wait ... WHAT? WHY IS SHE WHITE O..."

I really don't understand the logic behind the white washing. "It's more marketable." Yeah? Well what happens when they actually READ it?! Gah!

Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!* Haha really... And just the idea that having someone white on the cover will make it "more marketable" doesn't make sense to me either. It seems to suggest that having someone non-white on the cover is somehow unappealing, which is a terrible message to be sending to the teen audience--or to anyone for that matter.

message 71: by Marie (new)

Marie Re the whitewashing, I wonder if it's related to Hollywood? Talking with my mom last night we concluded the rich white male producers are some of the most backwards people on the planet - at least in terms of influence.

Athena Ivashkova ~♥~ She's apaneese? Cool!

message 73: by Tiana (new) - added it

Tiana I'm a huge fab of Julie and can't believe i have never heard of this book!!! I'm a fan failure.

But thanks to your review and a few others i bought the book and i can't put out down!!! Thanks for the awesome review to spark my interest

message 74: by Tiana (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair Yay! I'm happy you're loving it. And I hear book two is even better!

« previous 1 2 next »