Steph Sinclair's Reviews > The Immortal Rules

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

Apr 11, 2012

bookshelves: vamps, ebook, netgalley, post-apocalyptic, young-adult, 2012-release, e-arc, harlequin, 2012-reads, ass-kickin-heroine, could-have-been-better, i-liked-it, it-wasn-t-all-that-but-enjoyable, original-and-creative, i-own-it, signed-book, bea-2013
Recommended to Steph by: Me, 'cause I'm cool like that
Recommended for: Vampire fanatics looking for something new
Read from March 21 to April 09, 2012 , read count: 1

Actual rating: 3.5 stars

When I first found out Kagawa was journeying down the vampire path, I was nervous. I mean, vampires have been written about over and over in the YA world and I wasn't sure what could be added. I had imaginary conversations, pleading with her, "Julie, are you sure you wanna do this?" And in all her awesomeness she pretty much told me, "Steph, chill. I got this." Do you know what I love about Julie Kagawa? I love how she can take a completely overused paranormal creature like fairies or vampires and create a whole new spin on them. Just when I was starting to lose faith in the Children of the Night, The Immortal Rules comes along and makes me rethink everything I thought I knew about vampires.

The Immortal Rules tells the story of Allison Sekemoto living in a future where most of the human population was killed by a disease called Red Lung. But that's not the only problem. Vampires now rule their world and have caused the human race to become their pets, scavengers, and monsters themselves. And let's not forget about the Rabids that stalk the earth just waiting to take a bite or two out of a human. Allison hate vampires, but when faced with the choice of death or becoming that which she has always loathed, she chooses the latter. When she flees from New Covington, Allie runs into a group of humans. She decides to travel with them, hiding her true nature from them as they travel searching for Eden (and yes, there are Christian themes in the book), a human city not ruled by vampires. She's always thought being a human was hard, but she quickly learns that being a vampire isn't exactly a walk in the park either, especially when you're wanted.

The best thing I loved about The Immortal Rules were the vampires. These aren't the cute sparkly vamps that try their hardest, fighting their nature, by feasting off animals instead of humans. Oh, no. These bad boys are vicious killers, just like unlike 'em! It is made very clear early in the novel that vampires have to drink from humans in order to survive and that one day Allison would kill a human no matter how hard she tried not to. Hell to the yeah. Real vampires! They're back!

That's what I'm talking about!

I also really enjoyed the creativity in this novel. Do you know what happens when Underworld and The Forest of Hands and Teeth have a baby? The result, if you didn't guess, is The Immortal Rules. It was a really cool mix of both flesh-eating, zombie-like creatures and bloodsucking vamps, surrounding poor, defenseless humans. Kagawa wasn't afraid to kill her characters off and show Allison some tough lovin'! I really hate when authors attempt to give every lovable character in the book a "hall pass" from death. The impact of the scene and story usually suffer, but not here. People died, viciously. Such is the way of the circle of life.

My biggest and only issue with the book was the extremely slow first half. It just felt like it dragged on and on. I just wanted to bang my head against a wall. And because of that, I can't give this book 4 stars. However, where the beginning was boring (to me at least), the second half makes up for lost time. Because this is another thing I love about Kagawa: Her action scenes and endings are kick-ass. I was getting major Underworld vibes from Allison and it was awesome. Every time she cut someone's head off, I got ridiculously giddy. I'm not lying when I say the second half saved this book.

Characters:
In the beginning I really disliked Allie. She and I weren't getting along very well because she had an attitude and personality that gave Oscar the Grouch a run for his money. I get why she was like that, but that didn't mean I had to like it. Thankfully, by the end of the novel, I did end up connecting with her. It was very subtle and snuck up on me. Of course, it didn't hurt that she was a badass, katana wielder either. "Useless," she was not! Kick some ass, she did. Lol. Okay, I'll spare you with my Yoda talk, but seriously the second half was a lot of fun.

Zeke, the love interest, was just okay for me. He was very sweet, caring, loyal, all those things you love to see in a person. While I did like him, I feel like I need to see more of him it the next book before I make up my mind.

Kanin (P.S. was that derived from "The land of Canaan?"), Allie's mentor was my favorite character. We didn't see a lot of him and that made me a bit disappointed, but things are looking up for more page time in the next novel.

So overall I did enjoy the novel and I'm looking forward to book two. It looks like Kagawa is planning on kicking it up a notch, so she can count me in. ;D

*A note on the cover: DISLIKE! Allison is of Japanese descent. Thus, the girl on the cover disappoints me for obvious reasons. -_-

ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley. Thank you!
More reviews and other fantastical things at Cuddlebuggery Book Blog.
117 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Immortal Rules.

04/03
04/05
36.0% "This book isn't as exciting as I hoped it would be." 5 comments
04/06
42.0% "Interesting. This new group of humans all have biblical names and are looking for a place called Eden." 2 comments
04/09
67.0% "Finally. This book is finally picking up a bit." 3 comments
04/09
70.0% "Say WHAT now?! O_O" 9 comments
03/03 marked as: read

message 1: by Cat (new)

Cat I am so jealous. D:

Steph Sinclair Cat wrote: "I am so jealous. D:"

Go request it! :)

Juhina Finally!!!! Thank god I'm auto approved for harlequin teen <3

Erica (daydreamer) Ah, you already got it? I just requested it, I hope I get approved. *please oh please*

Steph Sinclair Erica (daydreamer) wrote: "Ah, you already got it? I just requested it, I hope I get approved. *please oh please*"

Yeah, they put me on auto-approve last year. Crossing my fingers for you!

Erica (daydreamer) How do you get auto-approved? *me sulking wishing I was*

Steph Sinclair I'm not sure. I just request a book and recieved an email that I was auto-approve. Maybe it was because I was regularly requesting from them and they got tired of going through and approving me! Lol.

message 8: by Bry (new)

Bry Never heard of netgalley!! I am signing up right now!

Syahira Sharif my heart breaks whenever a publisher decline me... sniff

shady boots It's up on NetGalley? O_O Are you kidding?!

*requests and desperately hopes I'll get accepted*

Isamlq thank you!

Blythe Does netgalley only send physical copies of the books or do they send digital copies too?

Steph Sinclair No problem, Isamlq!

Blythe wrote: "Does netgalley only send physical copies of the books or do they send digital copies too?"

Usually, it's only digital copies, but I've seen some publishers offer physical copies. Those are rare and pretty limited.

Blythe Thanks! Netgalley just accepted my request to read this!! I'm so excited!

Steph Sinclair Blythe wrote: "Thanks! Netgalley just accepted my request to read this!! I'm so excited!"

Yay!

Nicola Thanks for the heads up, Stephanie! Just got approved :D

Steph Sinclair Awesome!

Vidya-BooksAreMagic I requested just now.. :)

Vanessa *Bluest Ribbon* Just finished reading this book! :)

Steph Sinclair Vanessa wrote: "Just finished reading this book! :)"

Ohhhhh... 5 stars!

Vanessa *Bluest Ribbon* Oh yes! This woman named Kagawa... I just love her! She made vampires creepy again. Let us celebrate! Bring out the bloodbags, minions.

Steph Sinclair Vanessa wrote: "Oh yes! This woman named Kagawa... I just love her! She made vampires creepy again. Let us celebrate! Bring out the bloodbags, minions."

Yay! I do love her writing so I'm excited to read it. :)

Vanessa *Bluest Ribbon* Stephanie wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Oh yes! This woman named Kagawa... I just love her! She made vampires creepy again. Let us celebrate! Bring out the bloodbags, minions."

Yay! I do love her writing so I'm excited t..."

When you're going to read it, take your device into a dark secluded corner of your house (preferably under the sink or inside a closet) and read there. Believe me, you wouldn't want any distractions because it's awesome like that. ;)

Oh and I'm talking about your ebook device, don't get any wrong ideas.

Kelly I requested it. *crosses fingers*

Steph Sinclair Vanessa wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Oh yes! This woman named Kagawa... I just love her! She made vampires creepy again. Let us celebrate! Bring out the bloodbags, minions."

Yay! I do love her writin..."

Hahaha! That would scare me. D:

Vanessa *Bluest Ribbon* Hahaha! That would scare me. D:

Oh. Really? Maybe THEY are right. I AM weird...

*goes away to think*

Blythe I just started this! I'm not crazy about it just yet (but I'm only 6% in)... How are you liking it so far?

Steph Sinclair Blythe wrote: "I just started this! I'm not crazy about it just yet (but I'm only 6% in)... How are you liking it so far?"

It's okay. The first 20% was a little dry for me, but it seems to be picking up a bit now.

Blythe Good to know, it's pretty boring right now.

message 30: by KJ Shadows (new)

KJ Shadows Another person reading this book...hmmm his must be good no?

Blythe It's okay so far, K J Shadows. I'm at 17%.

Steph Sinclair ♡ K J Shadows ♡ wrote: "Another person reading this book...hmmm his must be good no?"

Yeah, like Blythe said, it's okay.

Blythe I'm now at 56% and I'm really, really liking it!

Steph Sinclair Blythe wrote: "I'm now at 56% and I'm really, really liking it!"

Really? That's great! You're a past the part I'm at, so I'm happy to know it gets more interesting. I'm hoping to have some quality time with it tonight!

message 35: by Blythe (last edited Apr 07, 2012 09:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Blythe I don't know if I'd say it gets more interesting, because from what I've heard from the opinions of others, they thought the particular part I loved was boring, but, like I said, I loved it! I look forward to seeing what you think about it, particularly 45-50%.

Danielle Steph, thanks for the "Up on Netgalley" comment! Because of you I got it!! I can't wait to really get started with it! :)

Vidya-BooksAreMagic Got this book! :)

Blythe I can't wait to read your review! :)

Steph Sinclair Blythe wrote: "I can't wait to read your review! :)"

It's finally up. Now I'm off to read everyone else's!

message 40: by Kyle (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kyle Love the GIFs! Not a fan of the Iron Fey, but I think I'll give this one a try.

Kelly I definitely thought "Kanin" was a reference to "Cain." I had a little trouble in the beginning with the infodumps, but yesterday afternoon I burned through most of the section where she hides her vampirism from the travelers in one sitting. I'll probably finish today.

Experiment BL626 Thanks for the review!

"especially when you're wanted" — Did you mean "especially when you're unwanted."?

Also, why do these vampires have to drink directly from humans? Was there an explanation provided?

message 43: by Kelly (last edited Apr 11, 2012 08:08AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kelly It has to be human blood. It doesn't have to be directly from the human--it can be from a blood bag--but for most of the story she doesn't have access to that. But animal blood doesn't sate the hunger or help them heal themselves, essentially. I'm only 2/3 of the way in so i don't know if "why" is revealed, but that's what I know so far.

(And no, I think she means wanted, as in "by the authorities.")

Blythe Love the review, Stephanie!

Steph Sinclair @Kyle, thanks!

@Paige, Thanks! I'm surprised the info dumping didn't bother me as much as it did. What really got me was wandering she did before running into Zeke. O_o

@Kelly, I didn't even think of Cain! I was basing my assumption purely on pronunciation, which may have been incorrect anyway. Lol.

@Experiment, What Kelly said. It just has to be human blood, but not necessarily directly from them. Animal blood doesn't sate their hunger.
And she's wanted by other vampires in the book because of Kanin, her sire.

Kelly Well, IIRC, Canaan was named for Cain supposedly, right? So I think we caught the same reference.

Eunice Oh, I didn't like Allison too right away but she grew on me eventually then. Kanin's my favorite character too! I was expecting to see more of him on the later part of the book but well...I wish we get to see more of him on the second book though! And I agree with the cover, I should have sent my photo! lol! Awesome review, Stephanie.! :))

Steph Sinclair @Blythe, thanks!

@Kelly, I think Canaanites were named after their ancestor, Canaan, son of Ham, who also suffered from the "Curse of Ham." Interesting the Hebrew name is Knaan. So basically, I have no idea. XD

Kelly Ah, well, it's been way too long since the Bible and I were closely acquainted. ;)

Steph Sinclair Eunice wrote: "Oh, I didn't like Allison too right away but she grew on me eventually then. Kanin's my favorite character too! I was expecting to see more of him on the later part of the book but well...I wish we..."

Thanks, Eunice! I'm hoping to see more of Kanin too. That would make me very happy!

« previous 1