Rachelle's Reviews > Life As We Knew It

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Sep 02, 11

bookshelves: books-recommended-to-me, dystopia, fiction, y-a, series
Recommended to Rachelle by: Loryn
Read from August 27 to September 01, 2011

In Life As We Know It, 15 year old Miranda and her family are forced to survive in a world that has been turned upside down after an asteroid crashes into the moon.

The story is told through Miranda’s journals. The author tells an interesting tale, following the family through the different stages of this disaster. I found the characters sympathetic and realistic. Although I did have a problem with Miranda’s sometimes selfish attitude, but I had to remind myself that she’s only 15 and she did grow up in the end. I cared about what happened to these people which is always a good sign. If I’m honest, the breakdown of society terrifies me. This book was all about the breakdown of society there were parts of this book that stayed with me once I closed the book.

Even though I enjoyed this book overall I did have a few issues with it. I have read some really good dystopia lately, this book fell just a little short of some of the other stories I have read and I felt like it took the safe YA way out in some ways. But really it was a good read and I will defiantly pick up the next two books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life As We Knew It.