Chris Witt's Reviews > Luckiest Man: The Life and Death of Lou Gehrig

Luckiest Man by Jonathan Eig

Mar 28, 2011

Read from March 28 to April 07, 2011

Similar to my issues with Eig's book on Jackie Robinson, this occasionally reads as though somebody leafed through Wikipedia entries and put together a blow-by-blow account of Gehrig's life.

However, it's a step better than that and ultimately enjoyable. Also have to give Eig credit for putting together a biography of a man whose personality doesn't exactly lend itself well to a 350-page reads. Gehrig was basically a quiet guy who went about his work. But Eig brings him to life. You get everything from his parent's childhood on up through the bitter end of the Iron Horse's life. The last 100 pages or so are a tough read.

I believe that Eig was the first to turn up letters that were exchanged between Gehrig and his doctors in the last two years of his life, having procured them from somebody who had bought them at an auction. They really add an extra dimension to the final chapters.

My only other issue with the book is that it could have used some editing. Occasionally something would come up that would run a page or two and had absolutely ZERO bearing on Gehrig's life or what the rest of the chapter was about. It was almost as though it "slipped" into the book. I don't have an exact example in front of me (book has already been returned to the library), but I remember there was a page of discussion on Negro League baseball which had nothing at all to do with what was being discussed. Strange.

But all in all, an enjoyable read for those who are interested in baseball history or even in ALS.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Luckiest Man.

Chuck will put on my to read