Edna's Reviews > Chain Reaction

Chain Reaction by Simone Elkeles

Mar 28, 2011

bookshelves: 2012, contemporary, young-adult
Read from January 18 to 20, 2012

More like 4.5 stars. THESE FUENTES BOYS. Sa-woon.

I bought Chain Reaction when it first came out, but I held off on reading it. I don't know why. Maybe I didn't want to let go of these characters? Last week I decided to reread the previous two novels in this trilogy. They were SO GOOD. It's a mark of a good author when he or she can turn a well used premise (bad boy falls for the rich girl, bad boy falls for the good girl, etc.) and make it FRESH. You know what I mean? In my opinion, Ms. Elkeles is a master at romance and love, and family relationships. Every one of these Perfect Chemistry books exemplify those elements wonderfully.

Chain Reaction went beyond my expectations. I adored Luis from the get go. I knew I'd like him since he's been portrayed as the good one, the smart, driven one. And there's something very attractive about that. I love a guy who knows what he wants, who's ambitious and aims for the sky. Sometimes it was so endearing how his academics took over when the gang aspect of this novel took hold. (view spoiler) At the heart of the matter he's just a good kid.

I may place Luis as my favorite (shh, don't tell Alex). Not sure because Alex is pretty high up there. I do see the similarity to his eldest brother and actually, if I'm being honest, he's exactly how I thought Alex would be had he been raised without the huge gang influence (maybe not the adrenaline rush so much, but still...). And while we're on the topic of similarities, I do have to say Luis and Nikki's romance somewhat mirrors Alex and Brittany's. Though Luis doesn't have the edge Alex did and Nikki's background was far different than Brittany's. Despite some resemblance, Luis and Nikki were pretty damn fantastic. I think it was a smart move to split the timeline and give a little background and history.

What makes this one stand out over the others? FAMILY. Oh, how I LOVED all the family interactions. It's something I didn't get enough of previously. I never had a doubt how much the brothers loved each other, but I never did get to see much low-key ribbing brothers seem to do. There were some very FUN scenes (Panty Discus, anyone?) and plenty of teasing from Carlos (OMG, I LOVED HIM in here!). I also liked that since Alex and Carlos were pretty settled, they were on the same side—as Luis called them “the tag team from hell”—and handled the big brother roles well when dealing with him.

Dare I say there were a few things I didn't like? (view spoiler)

These books are such fast-pace, heartwarming and fun stories. I'm sad that it's over but I had such a good time reading them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chain Reaction.

Ceci Did you like it??