Carrie's Reviews > Dragon's Blood

May 20, 11

bookshelves: own, scifi-fantasy
Recommended to Carrie by: Laura
Read on May 20, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Oh man, I ripped through this book, and it was so sad because I wanted to stay there forever. Although I still read lots of "boy and his [insert animal]" stories, it's rare now that one absorbs me quite so much as they did when I was younger. This one really took me back to that. I love the unique and very well described mental connections between dragons and their handlers, and I found the world so believable, simple though it was.

The ending was a little too neat for me - I didn't really like the the whole thing was a setup and test. And again I wish it were twice as long, with more descriptions of training and of other dragons and their handlers and trainers, and more battles and more everything...but that's more of a compliment than a complaint. I'm a little worried about reading the other two, since they apparently depart substantially from this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragon's Blood.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura I'm so glad you liked it! It is one of my all time favorite dragon books. The second and third are very different, but definitely worth reading. In some ways I completely disconnect them from the first and look at them as their own stories (even though it's the same characters) and that works much better.

Carrie If I'd read this as a kid I would have been drawing dragon lineages for years...it's so perfect for me. I'm going to get the other two - any other Yolen books you'd recommend?