Kate 's Reviews > Heartless

Heartless by Gail Carriger

Jul 13, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, favorite-authors, the-stacks
Read from July 11 to 13, 2011

Another fantastic Parasol Protectorate novel, and it looks, from a few key plot devices, that this most entertaining of series will be with us for sometime.

The Parasol Protectorate has been formed! Finally! And on a whim!

The domestic serenity of the Maccon household is disrupted in many creative ways to great effect!

We see inner depths of many characters whose depths were in doubt!

The hilarity is ever present!

Only four stars, though, because I could not, could not give it five stars after giving five stars to Blameless. In emotional depth, it doesn't compare. SPOILER ALERT (if you haven't read Blameless.) I have never cried at a paranormal comedy the way that I did when I read the scene of Biffy, formerly pledged to vampiredom, awakes in shock as a new werewolf pup. The mental image of this young dandy, mowing down a bowl of raw steak as he cried, his former vampire-lover holding his hand and stroking away his tears, touched me in a way that no star-crossed lovers since Romeo and Juliet had.

Fans of the Protectorate: you won't be disappointed.

One question: I tried to pre-order Timeless, but it is only available for pre-order in the Kindle edition. Is it going to be available in dead tree format?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heartless.

07/11/2011 page 53