Julia's Reviews > Zombies Vs. Unicorns

Zombies Vs. Unicorns by Holly Black

Mar 28, 11

bookshelves: appropriate-for-adults, appropriate-for-high-school, fantasy, short-stories
Read in March, 2011

This book was just about the perfect blend of twisted fantasy in a series of great short stories from some A-List young adult authors. I thought, how seriously can you take a book called "Zombies vs. Unicorns" really? But this book was not only entertaining, but filled with richly layered and profound tales. On the other hand, some were merely delightful.

I'm not a zombie fan as a rule, but I have to say their stories really touched & amazed me. The unicorns were, in all but one case, NOT of the "rainbow farting" type, but rather the older, often darker, more magical type. Stories of both creatures presented fascinating explorations of the human condition when presented with a world beyond our reality. For me, only 1 story was a dud. The rest were fun, fascinating, and terribly moving. Oddly, for me, it was the zombie tales that hit me the hardest emotionally as a rule, even though I lean toward "Team Unicorn." I desperately want to know what happens after the end of "The Care and Feeding of Your Baby Killer Unicorn" (by Diana Peterfreund).

The editors, Justine Larbalestier and Holly Black, keep up a running "argument" before each story as way of an introduction. These are often as wonderful as the stories themselves. Kindly, they alternated from a zombie story to a unicorn story, so everyone got their say evenly.

My one word of caution is that due to the amount of violence & sexuality in some of the stories, this book is definately for high school readers (and adults) who are already fans of dark fantasy.

LOVED IT!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zombies Vs. Unicorns.