K's Reviews > Mr. Impossible

Mr. Impossible by Loretta Chase

Feb 18, 08

bookshelves: romance, skimmed
Read in February, 2008

Prequel to Lord Perfect, and the better book. The pedantic Daphne and the happy-go-lucky Rupert are better conceived leads with more believable chemistry, and adventure plot seemed decent for a romance novel. Wished I had paid more attention, actually; my expectations were too low, so skimmed more than I should've. As far as I could tell, it's set in Egypt, and they are trying to recover Daphne's kidnapped brother from some evil Frenchman? Then they fall into some pyramids and meet a few stinky mummies. These mishaps provide excuses for hanky panky.

I liked that Rupert was a male lead in the mold of "secretly competent buffoon" rather than yet another well-endowed variation of Mr. Darcy (brooding, socially awkward) or Heathcliff (a little sexy but mostly mean). Was also grateful that he's represented on the cover only from the chin down, and shirt mostly buttoned. And I am in love with this line, spoken by him to Daphne: "When I don't understand what you're talking about, I pretend I'm in a picture gallery and you are all the pictures." (187) I guess it's one of those classic chestnuts or whatever, but I totally tlove it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Impossible.