rameau's Reviews > Lips Touch: Three Times

Lips Touch by Laini Taylor

Jun 21, 11

bookshelves: genre-fantasy, genre-romance, genre-ya, recommending, read-in-2011, language-english-original
Recommended for: Everyone
Read from April 20 to 23, 2011

I've been agonising over the rating for a day now and I still can't decide. I loved this book, I really did, and still I can't bring myself to give it the fifth star.

It threw me a bit to realise this book was combined of three kissing stories of variable lengths, but the writing more than made up the fact. The first story was so short and poignant that to me, it became more about the pretty words and clever descriptions than the story itself. The second was more about the story and character growth and little less about smart language. But the third... The third I wanted to be the prelude to a long fantasy novel series, because the world was so unique to me. And Mihai... I would love to give the fifth star to Mihai alone.

But I can't. Because in the end this book didn't bewitch me like I expect a five star book to do. Lesser grammar, plots, characterisations - in a word, books - have earned that rating Goodreads has dubbed "amazing". This book's strength - three stories for the prize of one - became it's greatest weakness. Those abrupt changes between different stories jarred me from the haze of amazing fiction. Thus, only four stars.

I'd recommend this book to anyone even slightly interested in romantic ya fantasy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lips Touch.

04/20/2011 page 5
2.0% "I might as well give up now. Her language is such that I can never hope to write a single sentence like it."
04/20/2011 page 5
2.0% ""...You do know rood isn't born wrapped in plastic, right?" LMAO"
04/20/2011 page 10
4.0% "Lovely grandmother. I'm going to end up highlighting this entire book."
04/21/2011 page 40
15.0% ""Well, the secret ingredient is supposed to be love. But I substitute scorn..." My kind of cook. *giggles*"
04/21/2011 page 125
46.0% "Two of the three done. First was all about language, the second is more about the story. What will the third be like?"