Monica's Reviews > Lily of the Nile

Lily of the Nile by Stephanie Dray

Mar 28, 11

bookshelves: reviewed
Read in March, 2011

I adored this new historical YA by Stephanie Dray. She takes the era of Cleopatra from dusty old roman tomes to a world full of intrigue and sensation that anyone can read, understand, and digest. Ms. Dray has the ability to pull you into a story like very few authors out today, she also can make an inherently YA read feel adult and full of sensuality. With her ability to roll a story across your palette and tether you to the pages of her books I see wonderful things coming from Ms. Dray.

So, more about the book. Selene, in my opinion, is a teenager. She is unpredictable, pouty, self-centered, prideful, and above all she loves her Goddess. This is a great place to start with a heroine, and some great attributes to instill in a character that could potentially become a teen's idol and friend. Selene's twin Helios is also just like a teen boy, he is full of pride, ego, and will do whatever it takes to protect the ones he loves. Above all, Helios is my favorite, he got on my nerves because he wouldn't see anything the way Selene saw things but he also had his reasons and I can more than understand them.

The historical accuracy of this book I can not vouch for but the author added her own notes to the book and everything in the book, minus the strictly fictional parts, felt real and right. I believe this look into Selene's life will open new doors for people who love this era and want to hop in head first.

The next book in this series is going to be even more dramatic, I can already feel it and I can't wait to read what Ms. Dray has in store for us.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lily of the Nile.