Brian's Reviews > Smile When You're Lying: Confessions of a Rogue Travel Writer

Smile When You're Lying by Chuck Thompson

Feb 18, 08

Read in January, 2008

Smile When You're Lying is less about "confessions of a rogue travel writer" and more about a few "sophomoric" (that's an inside joke you'll get once you read the book) situations he found himself involved in and some personal opinion about paradises that aren't. Still, I enjoyed the book quite a bit. Once you realize what you're dealing with, it's easy to settle in and follow along. Can't say that any of the "revelations" (i.e. - all the bits about thefts, trash-littered beaches and relative poverty outside the oceanic megaresorts are wholeheartedly discouraged from making it into print) are any secret, but I still enjoyed hearing of his travels to and from. Eventually, one might tire as I did of the rather predictable tales he relates which seem to deal mostly with alcohol, drugs, or sex, but you'll still find yourself being pulled along if for no other reason than to find out what became of Shanghai Bob. Worth it in paperback, and it moves very quickly. William Least-Heat Moon he aint, but I don't hold it against him. In fact, by the time you finish Smile, you be grateful for that, too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Smile When You're Lying.