Kate's Reviews > The One Minute Manager

The One Minute Manager by Kenneth H. Blanchard

Mar 27, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, work
Read in March, 2011

So, there's nothing in this book that's earth shattering, and it strikes me as very 70s. Really? Touch your employee? Please don't. ick.

The basics: set goals, give feedback (positive & negative), etc. are all reasonable. But I feel like you could have written 3 paragraphs and I would have gotten the same amount of information out of this book. I can only hope this book used to be more earth shattering than it is now.

Also, I'm irritated by the ask-answer Socratic method parable that's used to teach the reader.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The One Minute Manager.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Back in the day it WAS quite the book to read. All managers got copies given to us at my company. Gee whiz, has the world changed that much????

message 2: by Kate (new) - rated it 1 star

Kate I wonder what you'd think if you read it again.
It's not that it was all bad, I thought some of it was really reasonable ... but I also didn't find it that earth shattering.

I think that I also had a strong reaction to it because it is viewed so positively that I had high expectations.

And the touching. Really ... I don't want any of my bosses, male or female, the ones I like or the ones I can't stand ... to touch me. :)

message 3: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Well, based on your review I don't think I'll be reading it again...and of course, the fact that I am long retired! Although I cannot remember, touching goes so against my grain that I would probably have skipped that suggestion!