Sara Diane's Reviews > The Dark Foundations

The Dark Foundations by Chris Walley

Apr 12, 11

bookshelves: sci-fi, 2011, reviewed
Read from April 08 to 11, 2011, read count: 1

The third in the series, this one continues the story of Farholme, the world cut off from the Assembly and now under attack from the Dominion. I had a bit more trouble getting through this one. More and more, Walley shows that he lacks a basic understanding of human nature--his story hinges on this universe that has been "kept" from evil, but he seems to forget that evil is inside each and every human being. The only way the Assembly would work is by prohibiting free will, and since God GAVE us free will, it just doesn't fly. Because of this "protection" from evil, Walley's Assembly characters are overly naive and lacking a depth that a character who has encountered both good and evil has.

I got very annoyed at the main character, Merrel, because he seemed to get more and more dense--he doesn't learn his lessons, he doesn't grow. At least in this one some of the other characters stepped up to play a more rounded game. However, a lot of the characters in this one also lack depth--the annoying ones are just annoying, the evil ones are just evil. It's hard to relate to such flat characters.

Yes, I'll read the last book, but more because I still want to see who ends up with who, and if Vero ever gets back home.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Foundations.