Amy Wilder's Reviews > The Grimm Legacy

Apr 09, 11

bookshelves: middle-grade, fantasy
Read from March 27 to April 09, 2011

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grimm Legacy.

message 1: by Amy Wilder (last edited Apr 09, 2011 05:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Wilder Last year I read Polly Shulman's first novel "Enthusiasm" which was, in a word, awesome. A Jane Austen tribute with a fresh but very Austen-esque plot - just thinking about it makes me want to go and reread it! Go read it!

So when I heard she had a new book, but it was a little different I said - look, she has earned my dedication with Enthusiasm. I will read anything else she writes, no matter what.

And she doesn't disappoint.

Is it different? Yes. But here is the premise: a girl goes to work for a library that loans things - objects rather than books - including magical objects. I love libraries, I love the Harry-Potter-like appeal of testing the magic of legend, and I love the character of a humble girl who becomes a hero.

Her story follows fairytale tradition - she's got stepsisters and she gives away her shoes to a poor woman on the street. There's an adventure aspect - they have to catch a thief in the library - and there is a romance. I can't give it all away but when I finished reading it, I hugged it to my chest, smiling.

Write another book now, please, Polly!