Annalisa's Reviews > Crank

Crank by Ellen Hopkins

Mar 27, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, issue, contemporary, voice
Recommended for: language, substance abuse, sex, though none of it glorified
Read from March 23 to 24, 2011

it's official. I'm not a fan of modern novel in verse. This is one of the better ones I've read (thus the 4 stars) and Hopkins at times uses the style to juxtapose lists or interlace dialogue with internal dialogue, but I did at times find myself annoyed at the breaking of lines and their distraction to the flow of the story.

I appreciate what Hopkins set out to do, to scare youth away from substance abuse by showing how easy it is the be controlled by the drug, how much it changes and destroys you, but I was a little shocked by the spoiler in the author's notes on the dedication page. I would have much rather read that information after I finished the novel instead of waiting for it through the whole book.

What I felt most strongly is that in-between space Kristina tried to juggle from what she used to be and what she had become, especially as the distance spread out and she tried to hold on to both. I could feel her slipping away, feel the shift in her priorities, feel the weight of her choices building up against her. It's obvious Hopkins has first-hand experience with the travesty of the drug.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crank.