Alex Ristea's Reviews > The Oracle's Queen

The Oracle's Queen by Lynn Flewelling

Jun 01, 12

Read from May 24 to June 01, 2012

Another fantastic job by Lynn Flewelling.

Now, this one did pick up a little slowly, especially considering the momentum the story carried coming in after the first two books.

I've one thing to say to Lynn: you can write scenes. And I mean you can write them really, really well. You get into the characters' heads, notice all the small details, and let the reader's imagination flourish under your deft hand.

So, stick to it. What put me off in this novel was the exposition. I've mentioned before how I didn't like the info-dumping, but here the problem was more that it all went by too quickly and wasn't developed as cleanly as her scenes. (And I know that's an inherent part of exposition as compared to scenes, but bear with me).

On a side note, it's amazing how differently she can write. In her Nightrunner series, the protagonist is a sly and cock-sure thief who is a master of deception. Quite a bit different from the timid Tamir we see in this novel.

Overall, this series grew on me and I came to enjoy it quite a lot. It tugged at my heartstrings, especially in some of the climactic scenes between characters. The relationships in the story were beautiful to witness, and the characters were true to themselves. They may have done things I cringed at, but it never seemed out of place or illogical.

Casket of Souls is her most-recently published novel, and it's en route so I can wait to read more!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Oracle's Queen.