Sara's Reviews > Elephant Talk: The Surprising Science of Elephant Communication

Elephant Talk by Ann Downer-Hazell

Mar 27, 11

Elephant talk by Ann Downer is a fantastic non fiction book about elephants and how they communicate. It starts with a section on elephant herds and then discusses long distance calls, low frequency sounds, body language and scent, vibrations and elephant human relationships.

This is a beautiful book filled with information that animal lovers will find interesting. The book is filled with beautiful elephant pictures that kids will love. The information is presented in an interesting way that will keep kids interested. The writing is intelligent and well researched yet readable for a younger audience. The only think I felt would have added to the readability to the book is if the author included a glossary filled with the large number of vocabulary words that were used.

Appropriateness: I would recommend this book to readers fourth grade and up. The only reading level information I was able to find on it stated that it was for middle and high school grades. It would be a fantastic book for a book report or a research project. Unfortunately it's only available in library binding so I'd suggest requesting it at your local library if you don't want to shell out the $23 that amazon is charging.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elephant Talk.