Eliza's Reviews > Wench

Wench by Dolen Perkins-Valdez

Mar 27, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read in March, 2011

This had been discussed and dismissed for my bookclub, but when I saw it at the used book store I picked it up. It's been compared and contrasted to "The Help" in many reviews. I think the major difference from "The Help" was in the individualization of the Black characters. The four main female characters had very similar situations but reacted each in their own way. I found it frustrating, though, how very much their situations were meant to be similar, even their very differing histories were explained.

I did not know of resorts such as Tawawa before reading this. I find it fascinating and meaningful that in the years leading up to the Civil War the opinions and preferences of the Northern visitors to the resort could so thoroughly ruin a business as they did.

In the end, I don't have the basis to decide for myself if this is a more or less accurate portrayal of race relations than "The Help." It was a predominately enjoyable book (you know, the rape notwithstanding) with exceptional characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wench.