Lisa Kay's Reviews > 16 Lighthouse Road

16 Lighthouse Road by Debbie Macomber

This is a review of the audio version of this book. Note: Narrator Sandra Burr does a good job on all the various voices necessary for the first in this small-town series.

I selected this book to fulfill a “Featured Author” challenge read. I fell into the B category: Familiar with her work, and wouldn’t mind reading her again. After finishing this sweet story, I would say I’m in the A category: Would definitely look at her other books, since I've enjoyed this one very much.

This is a nice story, with realistic dialogue and relationship situations. I though Ms. Macomber was a “one-foot-on-the-floor” romance writer, having the few, if any, sex scenes which would only happen off camera or summed up in one paragraph; however, she’s spiced it up a smidge for this one. I’ve also cried once, and that surprised me.

The story that held my attention was a young couple whom a Cedar Cove judge refuses to grant a divorce just after the loss of their newborn. There’s a nice little mystery about a disappearing husband, a woman being courted by an older man while she is in “lust” with a man from the wrong side of the tracks, a forgotten celebrity’s legacy, a cute dog and many more. If it is a little syrupy, that’s okay with me. Sometimes I need to cleanse my pallet after all the massive amounts of darker romances out there.

Yup, I’ll definitely listen to the next one, 204 Rosewood Lane, in Ms. Macomber’s quaint Cedar Cove series if only to...(view spoiler) And, I’m probably inclined to select one outside of it, especially if narrated by Ms. Burr.

P. S.This prolific author had plenty to choose from at my library, in various formats, so I selected this one before committing to it, only to find I was suddenly on a ‘waiting-list’. What?! I suspect there are many more people who are members of GoodReads in my vicinity than I know about! Some of whom were lurking on the thread I posted on. Either that or more and more people are downloading from the library to their computers, MP3 players, or other electronic devices of which I know nothing about. Which is a good thing, right? No library fines and the library will surely order more titles in audiobooks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 16 Lighthouse Road.

04/02/2011 "Currently listening to."