Erika Badass's Reviews > The Ideal Man

The Ideal Man by Julie Garwood

This was my first Julie Garwood novel. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either.

My first reading loves are thrillers/crime drama and Paranormal and Romantic Suspense. The premise of this novel sounded wonderful, but it was heavy on the relationship and lacking in the suspense and plotting.

Julie Garwood writes very well, I enjoyed her descriptions of people and places, it wasn't an overly wordy novel, which I like. I can't entirely put my finger on why this novel bothered me. Our heroine is a prodigy, gorgeous and the best at what she does. She didn't have any flaws that were portrayed, other than being a doormat for her family.
The hero was OK. Except for the ending, which was just...odd.

The climax of this story was over and done with in two pages.
There were two congruent villains. One, a creep who has been stalking her since she was 11, and the new hit man after she witnessed an FBI agent getting shot.

It was too much. Had the plot just been about one or the other and explored further it would have been better. As it was, I felt disconnected to the heroine, and only slightly sympathetic to the beating she received from her stalker when she was 12. The hit man plot was a joke for the most part.

I would likely read more by this author, but probably not after I read more reviews.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ideal Man.

03/31/2011